Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Walking On Current


Every summer vacation our family would visit our 100year old Grandfathers house[bungalow sounds better] at Chennai to make the holidays more exciting. It was my 5th standard summer vacation is when there happened to be ice rain at Chennai which I could still remember as the 8th wonder. It was the vacation where all our cousins united togather to hanky panky. Everyday our enjoyment was filled with games, comments, fightings, crying and our favourite cartoons. Days passed by and it was only a week for everyone of us to depart to their natives, so we thought of having lot more fun. From then on every evening we enjoyed flying kites and betting on kites for choclates, fruits, toys and goli's [famous indian childhood play item]. One afternoon, suddenly out of blue moon, it drizzled for some time and we found no bounds of enjoyment dancing and playing with the rain drops. Since it was hot out at Chennai we spent that night chitchatting and palying at the terrace of the house in the moon light enjoying the chillness that was hugging us from every dimension. Soon everyone were tired playing under twilight and continued to sleep with sweet dreams.

Some of our cousins including me woke up very early that morning listning to birds cherping and vehicles move. We were actually lazy to get up and start the day so quickly. I started recalling many events that happened in my school and everyone continued to have their turn and time passed very quickly. Slowly the sun came stright into our eyes and thought it was time for everyone to get ready and started to wake up everyone. Everyone as an usual tradition playfully started maching one after the other to reach the terrace door. There was one long passage which we need to cross and it was wet but it did not bother us atall.

As we stepped on the wet passage we felt as if our legs were pulled by some external force and everyone ran back to safer dry floor. Finally after lots of pep talk on this we concluded that there was mild currect passing by the floor which was very usual in that old house. We had no escape but to cross the wet passage to get into the house. First I tried to be brave and said that its nothing but mild currect flowing and it does not harm anyone in anyway. I was weak at heart but always liked to show off and this personality of mine got me into trouble. I put my first step on the wet floor and I felt as if something was tickling me and continued with the next step. With my both foot of wet floor I could feel something pulling me into the earth. My heart was very cautious but my mind said me dont panic. After a second could not bare the fear and stepped back. All my cousins were looking curious at me and I said I was just showing you how easy it was. They all said, is it so easy then why dont you cross to the other side. I felt in my heart that it was a nice question but didn't really know the risk involved.

Encouraging myself, I prayed god for a second and started moving towards the wet passage. I closed my eyes and started running ot the other end by stretching my legs as much as I can. I could feel that every foot I laid was influenced by some force pulling to bury me under the earth. Since the passage was only 5meters I managed to cross it in 12steps[approx.] taking around 5 seconds. When I reached the other end I opened my eyes slowly hearing my cousins clap and shout hurray! I suddenly felt that I have succeeded the greatest risk of my life and stood stiff smiling at my cousins. Soon everyone knowing that it had nothing serious crossed the wet passage running one after another reaching the other end safely. Each one after crossing were smiling as if they also have achieved the life's greatest event.

This happened in the last few days of your summer vacation. With all the sweet memories we departed to our home towns leading our usual school life, recalling the deeds among friends. I hope everyone of my cousins still remember those courageous moments.

Have you any experience like this????

No comments: